Preserving Digital Photos

I just wanted to talk to you all this morning about preserving your photos.

Preserving photos is always at the top of my priority list for my clients photos as well as my personal photos.  This is obviously because of how much I love and value photography and I never want to lose an image.

But once I deliver a client's images, its not longer my responsibility to preserve them.

Its up to you to make sure your images don't become scattered and unprotected and lost.

Photos are precious and not replaceable.

Digital images can be stored:
1.  On your computer's hard drive
2.  On your phone or Ipad
3.  CD or DVD
4.  Flash Drive
5.  External hard drive
6.  A Cloud Service

There is a shelf life to all of these media sources.
I've heard that the life span of photos on a CD is 6 years.

I'm not an expert at long term photo archiving.  I can tell you what I do and that is save my images to 3 different places at all times.  I use external hard drives and after a few years, I transfer to new hard drives.

I do not retain client images indefinitely as I do my personal images...so if you lose images I have taken for you, they are no longer archived on my hard drives.

I highly recommend that you do your own research to see what the best option is for you and I highly recommend that you make a habit of backing up all of your photos...not just the ones taken professionally!

If you'd like to discuss this topic with me, please feel free to FB Message me about it!

Steph





Comments